January 11, 2018

WABAN AREA COUNCIL AGENDA

Thursday, January 11, 2018, 7:30pm, City Hall, Room 204

PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF PLACE

I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF WAC DECEMBER 21, 2017 MEETING KW (2 min)

II. APPROVAL OF WAC ANNUAL SECRETARY’S REPORT TO CITY FOR 2017 CALENDAR YEAR JC (5 min)

III. APPROVAL OF JANUARY 11 WAC TREASURER’S REPORT RG (3 min)

IV. APPROVAL OF WAC ANNUAL TREASURER’S REPORT TO CITY FOR 2017 CALENDAR YEAR. RG (3 min)

V. ELECTION OF WABAN AREA COUNCIL OFFICERS FOR TERM JAN 2018-JAN 2019 All (5 min) VI. BURNING ISSUES: Community comments for future agenda or immediate resolution. (8 min) To include discussion of residents’ concerns about parking and traffic on Waban Avenue – DB (3 min)

VII. COUNCIL DISCUSSION ON THE FOLLLOWING ISSUES All (30 min)

A. Programming for 2018

B. Fundraising for 2018

C. By-Laws Review and Questions

D. Minutes Recordation and Website Archives VIII. NEW BUSINESS: New items that may lawfully arise for discussion.

IX. ANNOUNCEMENTS:

1. Waban Common, Inc. will be holding its fundraising kick-off evening on Saturday, January 27 from 5:30-7pm. Go to www.wabancommon.org for more information on this community beautification project in our village center.

2. A. There will be a Public Information Meeting for the Needham Street Corridor Project. The Massachusetts Department of Transportation will present 75% design plans and give an update on the anticipated construction start date. This project proposes roadway reconstruction and transportation safety improvements including new pavement, sidewalks, traffic signals, crosswalks, bicycle lanes and storm water management. Thursday January 11, 2018 from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. (doors open at 5:30 p.m.) and Friday, January 12, 2018 from 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. (doors open at 7:30 a.m.) in the Saco-Pettee Building, 156 Oak Street, Newton, MA. Parking lot entrance on Oak Street.

B. The City of Newton, in collaboration with the Massachusetts DOT, is planning improvements at the intersection of Oak St. & Christina St. This project has been temporarily delayed. The construction timeline has been adjusted and is anticipated to begin in summer 2018. *City of Newton staff will also provide an update about the Oak & Christina Intersection project.

3. The first Zoning Redesign event of 2018: "A Parking Lot for Goldilocks: Zoning for Just the Right Size" is on Thursday, January 18th, 2018 at the Newton Free Library from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.

X. ADJOURN. Next regularly scheduled Waban Area Council Meeting: Thursday, February 8, 2018, at 7:30pm at the Waban Library Center.

The location of this meeting is handicap accessible, and reasonable accommodations will be provided to persons requiring assistance. If you need a special accommodation, please contact the city of Newton’s ADA Coordinator, Jini Fairley, at least two business days in advance of the meeting: jfairley@newtonma.gov or (617) 796-1253. For Telecommunications Relay Service, please dial 711. 

Meeting Date: 
Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 7:30pm

 


Meeting Minutes

January 11, 2018, 7:00pm

 

Meeting Called to order at 7:02pm

 

Members in attendance: Sallee Lipshutz, Dinah Bodkin, Kathy Winters, Chris Pitts, Patrick Maher, Bob Jampol, Isabelle Albeck, Rena Getz. Quorum Present. Members Absent: Joe Corkery

City Councilor: Andreae Downs

Others Present: Nelson Lipshutz, Maureen Reilly Meagher, Carol Todreas

 

  1. December Minutes approved (by unanimous vote except RG abstained).
  2. Annual Secretary’s Report approved by unanimous vote.
  3. Treasurer’s Report. RG is still working on the Annual Treasurer’s Report and expects to have it ready within a week.  The monthly Treasurer’s Report, showing a balance of $1,048.20, approved by unanimous vote.
  4. 2018 Officers. The following officers were elected by unanimous vote:
    • President – Kathy Winters
    • Vice President – Rena Getz
    • Secretary – Dinah Bodkin
    • Treasurer – Isabelle Albeck
  5. Burning Issues.
    • Waban Ave. Parking. A neighbor has appealed the Traffic Council decision regarding Waban Ave. parking restrictions. The issue will be heard by the Public Safety Committee.
    • Northland Development/Needham St. Maureen Reilly Meagher reported that she attended the Dept. of Transportation meeting regarding the Needham Street redesign and that a DOT rep stated that the Northland Development would be completed prior to the DOT work on Needham St.
  6. Possible Change of Ordinance Update. SL reported back on email discussion with Chair of Zoning and Planning Councilor Susan Albright regarding a possible ordinance change that would punish builders for noncompliance with demolition provisions in a way that would deter noncompliance but not adversely affect neighbors. Councilor Albright told SL she would discuss the issue with the head of Inspectional Services and with the legal department. RG stated that she is skeptical this will be acted on until zoning reform is completed. RG suggested having Councilor John Rice docket the suggested change. Action Item: SL will reach out to Councilor Rice and bring him in the loop.
  7. Waban Market Parking Lot. The parking lot was re-striped as per City specifications in connection with the special permit issued for Waban Hardware. BJ reported that Waban Market owner Yan Kaganov told him that commuters park in the lot all day. SL said she has emailed Newton Transportation Coordinator David Koses regarding concerns about the lot and inquiring as to whether the City can help with enforcement. Others pointed out it is unlikely the City will get involved with parking enforcement of a private lot.
  8. Allen & Beethoven Traffic Calming. JR has told KW and SL that he would like to hold a community meeting in February or March to discuss potential traffic calming on Allen Ave. and Beethoven Ave.
  9. Pattern Book. RG would like for WAC members to look at the draft Pattern Book as it pertains to Waban. RG would like for WAC to draft a letter to the Planning Department with suggested revisions. Action Item: RG will circulate portions of the Pattern Book that pertain to Waban and will check with the Planning Department re deadline for comments. WAC will take it up at a special meeting or at our February meeting.
  10. Possible Future Programming. Councilors weighed in with ideas for possible future WAC programming:
    • Community Discussion with Mayor Fuller
    • Community Discussion with Ward 5 Councilors
    • Coordinated events with other area councils re developments
    • Zoning Reform, including tear downs
    • Recycling
    • Invite Paul Coletti to speak on Newton by the numbers.
    • Affordable Housing
    • Infrastructure Issues
    • Pilot Parking program being advocated by Councilor Downs. AD described what it would take to create an opt-in parking district, which could generate parking fees. The goal would be to better manage parking around Waban.
  11. Fundraising for 2018. SL raised the question of whether WAC wants to raise money for future programming. In the last four years we have spent an average of $1000 per year.
  12. By-Laws Review. SL would like a change in the by-laws that would allow for removal of a member that misses three meetings in a row. She explained that absent members make it difficult to have a quorum and hold meetings. KW expressed reservations that such a provision would be legal for elected officials. Action Item: KW will check with David Olson and possibly the law department about this issue.
  13. Audio Recordings of WAC Meetings. DB would like to record WAC meetings to aid her in preparing the minutes. There was consensus that DB could record for purpose of minute taking but then discard the recordings.
  14. New Business.
    • IA suggested that elections be moved from the Waban Library Center to the new Angier school. She explained that the noise level in the smaller WLC made it difficult for WAC to do outreach as voters enter and leave. After brief discussion of pros and cons it was agreed that the item could be added to a future agenda if IA wants to pursue it.
    • Snow Removal. AD reported that Councilor Vicki Danberg has docketed an ordinance change to add a fine if residents do not remove snow from their sidewalk.
    • Oak & Chestnut. PM reported that he had learned that ten properties at the intersection of Oak and Chestnut have been purchased by a single buyer.
  15. Announcements. SL made the announcements detailed in the agenda.

 

Adjourn. 9:13pm

 

Respectfully Submitted, Kathy Winters