May 3, 2018
May 3, 2018, 7:30pm-9:00pm
Waban Library Center
- Approval of April Minutes (5 minutes)
- Approval of Treasurer’s Report (5 minutes)
- Burning Issues from the Community (10 minutes)
- Update from City Councilor Downs on recent proposed change to citywide parking rules. (15 minutes)
- Discussion of Parking Restrictions on Waban Streets: pros, cons and process. (15 minutes)
- General update from City Councilor John Rice (10 minutes).
- Waban Common Event in September (10 minutes).
- Vote required for WAC to sponsor.
- Village Day, May 20 – WAC Table staffing (5 minutes).
- Announcement: Important Zoning Event May 10 – "A New Zoning Map for Newton". At this event the Planning Department “will dive into a new DRAFT zoning map and get feedback from participants.” Thursday, May 10th, 2018 from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. at the Newton Free Library.
- Next Meeting: June 14th.
The location of this meeting is wheelchair accessible and reasonable accommodations will be provided to persons with disabilities who require assistance. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please contact the city of Newton’s ADA/Sec. 504 Coordinator, Jini Fairley, at least two business days in advance of the meeting: email@example.com or (617) 796-1253. The city’s TTY/TDD direct line is: 617-796-1089. For the Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS), please dial 711.
Members of Waban Area Council Present: Kathy Winters, Patrick Maher, Dinah Bodkin, Sallee Lipshutz, Joe Corkery, Chris Pitts, Bob Jampol
City Councilors Present: Andrea Downs, John Rice
Member of Public Present: Doug Jones
April Minutes Approved
General update from City Councilor John Rice. City Council currently in budget negotiations. Item of interest is NewCAL-Newton Center for Active Living. Multigenerational or for seniors only? Will city need additional school given all the development that is under way?
Northland Update. Proposal will be brought before City Council in December. 800 new units. PM: What about bridge over Charles River? AD: Traffic study will be required. Also affords an opportunity to open up Greenway to Needham.
City Councilor Downs On Proposed Changes to Citywide Parking Rules. Possibility of time limits on parking throughout city. Meter repeater or moving to another spot on same block will be disallowed. Item under discussion is how much time must elapse before car can be parked again on same block. Businesses in Newton Center have spoken up against proposed changes, those in Waban have not.
Discussion of Parking Restrictions on Waban Streets. John Rice explained Waban Village Parking created for benefit of Angier community. Streets can be added but must be contiguous with existing Village Parking. Addition of streets must be approved by Traffic Council. Doug Jones reviewed recent Traffic Council decision re his proposal for parking restrictions on Waban Ave between Manitoba and Crofton.
Does Town of Newton sell parking spaces to non residents? Issue needs clarification.
Meeting adjourned 8:43pm.
Respectfully submitted by Dinah Bodkin, June 6 2018